Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Hobart Chronicles XXXVI: Are we there yet?

"No time to think about what to tell them
No time to think about what she's done"
- Talking Heads, And She Was, 1985

The Great Dental Reconstruction Odyssey is nearly over!

Yep, the dentist is ecstatic with the movement achieved in my remaining front teeth – they are now officially straight.

My latest visit to the dentist this week consisted of him taking moulds, measuring for the bridgework, and prepping the teeth for crowns. This last took FOUR doses of anaesthetic to complete, which surprised even the dentist (who by now should surely have seen everything). The fourth dose, of a more robust painkilling variety, made my face so unresponsive that for several hours my upper lip was completely slack and when I laughed it didn’t move at all – the upshot being that I looked like I had been punched in the face (or perhaps got at by Angelina Jolie’s collagen supplier).

I can’t wait ‘til it’s done. Two weeks, and counting. And do remind me when I’m whingeing later on about the cost, that the Odyssey would have been completely out of reach if I didn’t have health insurance (health insurance? Maybe I’m more grown up than previously thought!) My dear Slurry Hills friend James wonders if for healthy people it’s worth getting health insurance, apart from the tax benefits. Well, if you’re paying for it James, use it – don’t wait until you’re on your deathbed!

No comments: