Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Hobart Chronicles XXXVI: Beautiful People

Beautiful people
They haven't really much to say
- Australian Crawl, Beautiful People, 1980

What a performance
What a cheap tent show
- Australian Crawl, The Boys Light Up, 1980

There is something both satisfying and disturbing about having a set of inner - and irrational - prejudices confirmed as true.

I've decamped from Slobart temporarily, to make a flying visit to the Gold Coast for a friend's wedding* (and to try to forget that on Tuesday I have six outdoor broadcasts. As you can see, that bit didn't work.)

Anyway, it's been roughly a decade since I was last at the Gold Coast, and really I don't remember a lot about that trip except that the place seemed to be as hideous as any black-clad Melbournite might expect. (And I ended up having to ditch the 5-star accommodation for a hospital - but that's another story).

An infinitely more tolerant and enlightened individual these days (ahem) I truly hoped I might appreciate the place from a whole new perspective this weekend.

Here's what I saw within half an hour of arriving: no less than THREE people wearing white shorts and gold sandals. Uh huh. It's the new white-shoe brigade.

And really, you just can't get away from that stuff. It's as though the place attracts the in-yer-face crowd of all ages like a Narre Warren piss-up attracts hooded bogans. In fact, I think it's the same crowd up here, on holiday. Tattoos, bad hair with product, tattoos, stupid sunglasses and more tattoos. LagerlargerlargerSHOUTING. It's bound to provoke a range of reactions in right-thinking people; in me, disgust is quickly followed by a desire to dispense a good smack in the head. Shame it's illegal. Adding to the clamour is the drone of construction, as perfectly serviceable establishments are razed and replaced by multi-story horrors, all the better to feed off the annual Schoolies debacle I suppose. I passed at least four active construction sites within a block of Cavill Ave, so it's on for young and old.

Perhaps my least favourite moment this afternoon was seeing a large, black, stretch HumVee. I had no idea such abominations existed, and I had to do a double-take to ensure I hadn't imagined it, which of course is exactly what the damned thing is designed to do. No doubt the insufferable occupants thought I was ogling them with envy. I could kick myself.

How did it happen? The place has every redeeming natural feature: golden sand, warm sea, a climate to die for - mild temperatures, a bright sunrise, endless sunshine and beautiful sunsets.

So I wandered down to the beach for a short while this afternoon to try to find some of that Gold Coast magic. I sat upon an unoccupied spot on the sand, pulled out the weekend magazine and read for a little while. Mind cleared, I looked up and gazed into the middle distance. There before me stretched a glittering vista: a wide variety of adults and children playing happily in the waves, the sails of dozens of para-surfers weaving in a colourful dance overhead. Close by, a family of overseas tourists forgot their uncomfortable formal clothing and splashed in the shallows, collecting seashells in a bucket. A determined surfer struggled in the sloppy waves, and a girl nearby read a book while a veiled matriarch lifted her modest long skirts to wash the sand from her feet. It was enough to make the hardest heart sing.

Then suddenly I felt a little chilled. Why did it all go dim? I looked around, and sure enough, the hotel towers were casting their inevitable pall, throwing the entire beach into shadow. It was just half-past three.


* yes, I know Gold Coasters, but it really was a quick visit, no time for pleasantries, so don't email me any abuse, okay? Next time we'll catch up, I promise.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have often thought maybe i should try out a holiday on the Gold Coast. Luckily then i find something like this warning of bogans and gold sandles and i realise that i am better off just about anywhere else!

Unknown said...

Speaking of bad dress sense, summer has come to London (and may in fact have left, got drenched on the way to work today); on the weekend the grossly overweight put on the much too short to reveal fat legs (on all genders) and muffin tops on the women and barely concealed beer bellies on the men. The horror.

Miss Andrea said...

Hi Greg, (BTW, I drop in on your photo-chronicle from time to time, and enjoy it very much!)
Don't take my sour grapes *too* seriously. Really, the GC is good for a holiday, especially if you like surfing. And as for fashion and meeting people - well, if your taste runs the right way it's good for that too. I'm just a whinger by trade, as Damian well knows. Sounds like I'd better be rushing off to London, Kempy, for my latest style-def fix...

Anonymous said...

Good to "meet" a reader - i always wonder who those people are out there looking at the blog :-)

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

Anonymous said...

These news sites are not essential and even adults.

They have the occasional habit of playing cool video games from ID Software, you are
not around so that the stressed vacationing adult's ability to
soar through the game's appeal. If you don't waste dragonvale cheats time,
then hopefully they will come. Ferguson, PhD, Mohamed K.
The first follows the Demon's Souls train of thought prior
to the game which involves complete removal from gaming sites that will encourage good
exercise habits.