Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Hobart Chronicles XXXVII: So long, farewell

The lights of Devonport are fading
- Weddings Parties Anything, Riveresque, 1997

Hasta la vista, hasta manana til we meet again... so many movies and songs, and I can't remember the last line of the Weddos song that actually deals with sailing away from Devonport. I'll fix it later.

Since finishing work a week ago, it's been a strange, nostalgic week of doing-things-for-the-last-time. Last fish and chips from a punt at Constitution Dock. Last coffee and breakfast at Tricycle. Last beer at the Republic. Last sourdough loaf from Salamanca Market. Last visit to South Hobart Vinnies, the Hobart Mission and Hello Gorgeous. You know what I mean. I'll be coming back, but when you're a visitor it's different.

I finally abandoned the futile (and token) attempts to pack and on Friday drove away to catch the ferry. For non-Tasnarnians, you may be surprised to learn that Devonport, where the Spirit of Tasmania berths, is at quite the other end of the state to Slobart, and thus necessitates a road trip of significant distance and hours for the average Tasnarnian. It was a strange, hazy-shade-of-winter day, a combination of mild still weather and everyone from Forestry to local gardeners burning off (just the sort of thing mainlanders used to do thirty years ago) and the resultant glare made driving uncomfortable. It also buggered with the usually beautiful views Tasnarnia is so famous for, which was a bit disappointing on this my last trip up the highway.

There in Devonport the Spirit of Tasmania loomed large on the Mersey. I find any travel exciting and boat trips thrilling, so the sight of the ferry fed my anticipation. It compensated for the disappointing lack of cullinary options presenting themselves there in town. At least this stunning view was available from the McDonalds carpark.

When boarding the trusty old Volvo onto the ferry, I was instructed to go to a vehicle area in the lower hold, and parked as directed. The traffic controller smirked as I pulled up, "Not bad for a Volvo driver!" Har har. After all, it was a VERY big space I'd been assigned. I got out and that's when it dawned on me: every other vehicle in that hold was a very large 4WD, a 1-tonne ute or a commercial van. There was just one ordinary car - mine. The size difference was profound. Evidently they were allowing me significant leeway - just in case.

The trip was pleasant, and the 30 knot winds didn't create undue swell. Watching the lights of Devonport fade was sad, and I stayed outside for as long as I could until I got sick of the wind forcing my hair into my mouth and the occasional sting of sleet, and went inside for a glass of wine.

Arrival in Melbum yesterday morning was heralded with grey skies and precipitation, a typical weather welcome except that it hasn't been in these drought years. The 30mm rainfall was trumpeted in news bulletins and papers around the state as a welcome turn of the weather, and I had to remember how to drive in the rain.

I've spent a quiet weekend under paternal care (food, and lots of it) and tomorrow head north, for Our National Capital.

Keep those suggestions for new titles coming.

6 comments:

James said...

The original European name for the area was the LImestone Plains. My great-great-whatever was actually born there when it was called that. So maybe something do with limestone?

Unknown said...

Haven't read other comments but since the Parliament is surrounded by a couple of circle roads, a Lord of the Rings allusion? Can-bear-it instead of Slobart? The original nearby town was Monaro. Anything there for a name?

Googled this but is it the closer:
And the bastards in the bar,
I bet they say good luck good riddance,
And I say each to their own,
You pack of filthy sodden pissants.

By the way, goggle lyrics "lights of devonport", the top result should be someone's thesis on Mike Thomas and mining town songs (Rossarden, Walkerville, Lights of Devonport (about Ulverstone or Queenstown?), Industrial Town, The Ghosts of Walhalla).

Unknown said...

Just saw Can'tbearit in previous comments, nice. Another step from a previous comment - A Capital Letter? Canbearings? Canberrate? West of Sydney, North of Melbourne is too long. WoSNoM?

lemmiwinks said...

Woden Valley Whisperings ?

I'm sitting at home feeling sorry for myself after a stint in Woden Valley Hospital (or more correctly The Canberra Hospital as it is now known). At least the surgeons there are handy with drills and self tapping screws. I certainly can't fault their needlework.

Anonymous said...

I have really been trying to think of something funny about Canberra but no matter how hard i try just haven't been able to think of anything.

Volvo drivers are another matter ...

Anonymous said...

Canberra, berra/Whatever will be will be

Onya GH - bout time too.

Speak soon

Ois.